City of Marina, Monterey Co.Views looking north down the Southern Pacific right-of-way paralleling Del Monte Avenue and showing the old Marina depot
Photo by Paul Loyola Henchey, (1913-1957) of San Francisco
November 11, 1948
Photo Accession CV # 98-066-0008
The area now known as Marina was once owned by land barons David Jacks (1822-1909) and James Bardin (1810-1888), who in the mid-1860s owned much of the land that now constitutes the Monterey Peninsula.
After Mr. Badlin passed away in 1888, his heirs sold much of his property to John Armstrong for farming and grazing; other tracts were purchased for future development.
Southern Pacific Railroad laid tracks through the area in 1880 from San Francisco to Monterey to serve the new Hotel Del Monte via the Del Monte Express that ran for almost a century, from 1880-1971.
In the early 1900s the area was designated as "Bardin," then "Locke-Paddon Colonies," then "Paddonville," and finally, from 1918, became known as Marina."
The Southern Pacific Railroad Company was convinced by then-owner William Locke-Paddon (July 8, 1876- May 11, 1972), to make a flag stop for his customers en route from San Francisco.
It was his decision to change the name of the area to Marina.
Because he set parcels aside for a school, a church, and other attributes of an organized city,
William Locke-Paddon is considered the father of Marina. Marina's first post office was established in April 1919 by Mr. C.C. Samuels; his wife Murtle served as the first Postmaster. In those days, the post office was housed in conjunction with a general store and a gasoline pump just 50 feet east of the Southern Pacific tracks.
Marina was incorporated as a city in November of 1975.
Its nearest neighbor, from 1917, was the U.S. Army base, originally called Camp Gigling, later known as Camp Ord, and from the 1940's as Fort Ord.
This base was "realigned" in November 1994 and is currently home to California State University Monterey Bay, a research park, and a number of housing developments. We also have photos of the city of Seaside, Monterey Co. For other Railroad photo from our archives.
Holdings: Photos of early Carmel and over 22,645 of Monterey County listed in our database and over 81,955 total in the collection.
Prints are available in Sepia from 11x14 to 40x60 inches.
All images are also available for editorial downloads and one-time editorial use.
Go to Favorite California photo menu
Go to how to get to California Views with a map
California Views Frequently Asked Questions
List of California photographers in the photo collection
Go to photo price list non-commercial rates from 11x14 to 48x96
California Views home Photos main page
Go to John Steinbeck, photo 1963
Go to photo of Ed Ricketts, 1937
Go to Ed Ricketts photo, Circa 1936
Go to list of our holdings by place
Go to California stock photo use fee
Please send your comments and questions to
California Views photo collection
469 Pacific Street
Monterey, California 93940-2702
Phone (831) 373-3811
Please call first to ensure that we are in the archives.
1:00 - 5:30 P.M.
Pacific time Greenwich Mean Time -8
Closed Sunday & Monday